Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Classics

I had a friend the other day ask me what I was reading and I told them I was reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. It's a long story, over 1200 pages and for a great many people they find the story either too long, or too depressing to bother with...I told them they couldn't be more wrong, that this is a story of overcoming and never giving up.

I'm a reader despite being published. Books have been a staple in my life since I was a little girl and I always make a book list of the titles I vow to read in a year, which is added to the books that I pick up as the year goes on. I mean I'm not going to walk away from a Heather Graham read, or a Kresley Cole book...EVER...no my book list that I create are books that are considered classics...

This year the list includes....

Vanity Fair. I have seen the movie with Reese Witherspoon and always vowed I'd rad the book but have never bothered to pick it up. I did so this year with a gift card and I'm really anxious to start it after I finish Les Mis...


A tale of Two Cities...I haven't read this title as of yet, hence the reason it's on my list. I have however read Dickens in the past and love his writing. Again most of his books aren't going to be in the vain of Jane Austen, he loves to tackle the very serious issues of the day (which most classic authors did) and my mother swears that this book is without a doubt one of the best books she's ever read...


Anna Karenina is making my list this year as well. When I was going to college and going for my degree in history, I declared Russian history my focus. I find the people and the country completely fascinating! I know this is not going to be a feel good read, and this is one of the reasons I chose to read it. It's a wonderful time capsule that has captured this part of Russian history...

So what is on your reading list this year? What do you dare to read...

No comments: