Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Back in the Saddle....

Well, after the closing of Tiger Publications, a wonderful house that had to close due to health reasons of the owner, I sat back and contemplated...what on earth am I going to do next?! I have already weathered quite a bit in my short writing career, a major dust up at Dear Author, and Amazon, and closing publishers. But, the question of "did I have it in me to continue" weighed heavily on me.

Let's face it, no one likes to get on the submission merry-go-round. The sending in the query letter, synopsis, first three chapters and there is the waiting. And in the end, if you're lucky, maybe just maybe you'll get a partial request. If you're really lucky, you'll get a full request. However more often than not, you get lost in the slush pile, which to my way of thinking is the black hole of the industry.

I must confess for a time I considered giving up. Tired of the drama that you can find in the industry, the let downs, and what seems like an up hill climb. The disillusionment when it came to seeing other authors, authors I thought were friends, acting foolish, even cruel. Then there is the problem of coming up with something new, fresh, with an equally fresh and new setting. And yet, knowing that the odds are against me, I sat back down, my laptop in tow and began to type, just one scene, which led to a chapter, which led to two chapters and so on.

Why do we do it? Why do we commit ourselves to these blank pages, writing furiously, knowing that you're not guaranteed a sale, the coveted spot in NYC? I mean, lets face it...trying to get published by the big guys is like playing a manic game of musical chairs. And yet, even knowing my chances are like 1 in a 1000, I still charge ahead, my husband telling me he believes in me, my CP telling me that it's good...Shoot, I've managed to get my self contracted with a few small press houses...so I can't be all that bad. Right??? I do know that if I don't write, I can't submit, and if I don't submit...I'll never get published!

I have come to the conclusion that if I want the NYC brass ring, OMG, I'm going to have to start taking chances with them. Yes, I know the majority of the houses require agent representation, I also know that getting an agent is almost more difficult then getting a contract! Since I'm not able to attend Nationals this year in San Francisco, I'm shut out there with face time with editors. I don't care. I have come to the conclusion that I have good stories, stories that I'm sure readers will enjoy. I'm going to leave the safety of the small press puddle pool and dive into the icy cold depths of the NYC pool. Will I add to my already extensive rejection folder---YOU BET! Will I get frustrated and talk of quiting again---no doubt...however, I am not giving up and that is the important thing.

I have joined another blog http://authorsstudio.blogspot.com/ and encourage you to come on over and read what a few of us have to say and share. It's all about getting your name out there, mingle, make friends, and of course write the finest story you possibly can.

I think the best thing that writers can do is focus, stay the course and not let insecurities derail you from your dream. I'm back in the saddle now and plan on riding to the finish line.

No comments: