Friday, May 31, 2013

Lady Almina




I’m a total fan of Downton Abbey and the Edwardian time period. For years I’ve been fascinated with the Edwardian era. So much was changing and so much was happening. The world was getting ready face it’s First World War. The Titanic was going to sink and society as we know it was getting ready to change.

I’ve started doing research for my latest historical novel set in England right before the outbreak of WWI. Over the course of the past few weeks I’ve consumed some really interesting books and one of my favorite is Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey written by The Countess of Carnarvon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Downton Abbey the television series, the story is set in Highclere Castle which is also family seat for decades for the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon.


Within this book we get to know Lady Almina a very spirited woman who lived her life by her rules and societies and managed to put her mark on the war effort and how hospitals were formed and the various ways wounds were treated and how wounded soldiers were treated. It’s really an eye opening read and one I encourage readers to pick up. 

2 comments:

Viola said...

I am listening to an audio version of the book, and I'm also interested in finding out more about the real world of 'Downton Abbey'. I found Almina's background very exotic and fascinating.

Kristi Ahlers said...

Viola,
I too find her story fascinating. She was steps ahead of herself in many ways. The 1900-1930's is really one of my favorite stretches of time to study and read about...I hope you continue to enjoy Lady Almina's story.